Skip to main content

Students & Parents:

Investigation & Resolution

This page provides guidance for students regarding the investigation and resolution process for academic misconduct. More questions? Contact the Office of Academic Integrity via email or by phone at (304) 293-8111.

While similar, investigation and resolution procedures vary depending on the process through which the case was managed. Specific information for students is available on the linked Course-Level Process and Conduct Process pages. Students may contact the Office of Academic Integrity with questions about the process through which their case will be resolved.

Guidance for faculty and staff is also available.

Selected schools and/or programs are exempted from the WVU Policy on Student Academic Integrity and utilize their own investigation and resolution procedures.

Frequently Asked Questions

The specific steps taken depend on how serious the allegation is. At minimum, however:

  • You will receive a charge notice via your Mix email that describes the allegations.
  • You will have the opportunity to meet with the Office of Academic Integrity to respond to the allegation.
  • You will receive a notice of outcome via your Mix email that states a) whether or not you were found responsible; b) whether sanctions will be applied; and c) whether (and how) you can appeal.

Depending on how serious your case is, you will be informed of any additional rights and procedures at the appropriate time.

Instructors are required to report suspected academic misconduct within ten (10) academic days of discovery. You will be notified of the charge via your Mix email shortly after the report is made.

You do not have to voluntarily accept the charge and/or sanction. However, even if you disagree, you may still be held responsible and the sanction may still be applied.

In many cases, yes - although there are circumstances where you may not be eligible to appeal. If you are eligible to appeal, instructions will be provided in your outcome letter.

You should start by contacting the Office of Academic Integrity to express any concerns. If appropriate, your case manager will then work with other offices or individuals to address your concerns.

Individuals with a legitimate educational interest in such information may be notified if you are reported for academic misconduct. For example, this could include department chairs, appeal reviewers, and academic administrators within your major college.

It depends. If you are charged with academic misconduct but held not responsible, the incident cannot be disclosed to any outside party.

If you are held responsible, however, that incident will remain on your student conduct record. For sanctions up to and including deferred suspension, the incident can be disclosed to an outside party for a period of seven (7) years. For suspension or expulsion, this can be disclosed indefinitely.

In addition, certain sanctions appear on your transcript and cannot be removed. These include the Unforgivable F (UF), suspension, and expulsion. Sometimes, in serious cases of misconduct, a separate transcript notation may also be applied.

One thing to remember: your student conduct record can only be disclosed outside of WVU with your consent. This means that you would have to give signed permission for another graduate school or a future employer to gain access.